Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tales of Packing

Oh, so I've started packing all of my clothing and belongings for my move to VA for school. But it's not as fun as I thought it would be...silly me :)

I started packing two days earlier than I had planned because I had some extra time on my hands...and I'm glad I did! I wanted to take EVERYTHING in my closet! But because of the high costs of checking bags on flights, I only wanted to take my carry-on bag and regular sized suitcase. I had all of my clothes, a set of sheets, fold-down hamper & clothes bag, shoes, fold-down shoe box, and different things that I'll need. I started putting things in the suitcase, placing all of my small shirts and shorts in the carry-on and my jeans and sweaters in the big suitcase. And it pretty much all fit in like a stuffed turkey. So, I tried re-packing a few days later. This time I used some space bags that we had. Space bags are those big plastic bags that you can store clothes or big comforters in and then vacuum all of the air out so it flattens out and takes up less space. I used them for my big sweaters and dressed.

Fast forward to today. I wasn't happy with my packing job so I decided to take everything out and lay it on the floor then decide what articles of clothes I really needed and how to repack everything so I would have more room. I spent about 2 hours re-doing my packing job. I took out a bunch of clothes that I decided I wouldn't need and re-did the space bags so they were more effective. Annnnnnnd!!! It worked! My suitcase fit all that I needed to without being too stuffed and it weighs 32 lbs so it's not too heavy. My carry-on is good, too. It's not stuffed to the gills and I still have room for a few more things that I need to pack before I leave.

I'm so glad that I got everything packed up and how I wanted it. Woooohoooo! :) Blessings!

3 comments:

correspondent said...

Hi Juana,

Good luck getting everything ready for school! We're glad Space Bags can help transfer your wardrobe to your new home. Just wanted to say thanks for being a fan and invite you to join our online community, Space Savers. Community members get organization tips and advice for how to save space in their homes. Feel free to check out our article on dorm room organization: http://bit.ly/a7jHyq.

Best of luck in college!

Space Savers community correspondent
www.SpaceSaversCommunity.com

Anonymous said...

great job! i don't know what its like to have to do what you have done. when i move to VA Beach next year, i will be driving (only about 4 hours). this being so, i will be tempted to fill my car with stuff that i will not have room for in a dorm room.

i hope you got everything you need.

Juana said...

@ Space Savers - Thanks for the info! I find it quite cool that you guys commented on my blog! I will definitely check out the article!

@ Noelle - Thanks! I'm so glad everything fit! I kinda wished that I had driven so that I could take my stuff lol! I can't wait to meet you next year!

The publisher/owner of this website, Juana Lopez, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.