Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Regent Regatta

I mentioned a few blog posts ago that I was really excited for the Regent Regatta which is a boat race that was to be held in the pond near student housing. I knew it was going to be awesome even though I wasn't sure if I was actually going to be in the race. But Thursday night, I found out that I was on a team with Christen (RA!), Krystal (roommate), Sammi (hallmate), and Sarah (RA!). We went shopping for supplies at Walmart and we got lots (and I mean lots) of pool noodles, an air mattress, glue, rope, and blue and pink duct tape. We spent the whole night making our boat. Glue and popcorn stuck to our hands (because we were eating while we worked...of course!). The boat looked awesome! We stored it in our secret hiding place and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up and put my war paint on...I looked so fierce! Then, we headed out to race! I met a few of the other racing teams and we all put our life vests on. Here's a crucial part of the story...my teammates and I noticed another team that only had a broom and stick to use as paddles, so we decided to give them one of our paddles. Then! The race began! We jumped in the water and started to paddle. Our plan wasn't working quite like we had planned and soon we were far behind the other boats. But we kept paddling (with our one paddle of course) and Sammi and Krystal began kicking their legs like propellers. We were WAY behind and soon someone had already won. But we kept paddling and didn't give up. Lots of people were looking...it was funny. Then, Adam Williams decided to end the race. Even though we didn't place at all, we still won for Best Spirit. And get THIS! The team that we gave our paddle to actually won the race! It was a funny turn of events. I think we really blessed that team with our oar :) I was sweaty, gross, muddy, and smeared with paint, but I had a blast. Then, I ate hamburgers and played volleyball in the mud, met new friends, and enjoyed the outdoors. Such a fun afternoon! You wish you were there ;)
Our pool noodles

Demonstrating how great our boat floats

The Pink Pearl Boat

RAWR! I eat you!

Racers with the boat

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Juana Lopez, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.