Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Death (and Revival) of Chivalry

You've probably heard the old adage: Chivalry is dead. Ever since I heard the phrase many years ago, I've examined the world around me (and myself as well) to see if that statement is true. And I've found that it is not true. While some people have killed chivalry with a knife and left its bloody pieces for all of us to see, many people still hold firm to a chivalrous state of mind. Now, I'm a firm believer that men should hold the door for women, boyfriends/husbands should help the woman to her seat, and (my personal favorite) order for the girl if she would like them to. I also think that all younger people should help the older folks cross the street, hold the door for them, and give them your seat if they do not have one. Chivalry is a BIG deal to me. It shows that you care enough to help someone and to go out of your way for someone. It bugs me so much when someone doesn't hold the door for me...and it’s not me just being "stuck-up". Once, I was carrying out some smoothies from a store...about three, which is too many for me to open the door. A teenage boy walked in and saw me approaching the door, but just let it close behind him without offering to help me with the drinks or open the door for me. Another lady who was walking held the door for me and I thanked her. I was livid, though...so livid, that I almost walked back in and lectured the boy! But I've also experienced chivalry. Guys often hold the door for me even when I was far behind the door. People have let me go in front of them in line when I only have 1 item. And it feels good to experience chivalry, while also participating in it. So always mind your p's and q's. Hold the door for someone and offer help if they need it. Don't stand around and help hack chivalry to death! Revive it back to life by giving it CPR (Caring Persons Requested)!

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Queen Gwennie said...

KUDOS MY DEAR!! We have become a self centered people and consistently think in our small box. But there is still hope. Whenever we go, we look for opportunities to go beyond the measure. I always allow the elderly to go first where ever I am and in what ever I am doing. Most importantly, I pass these things on my teenager. Always speak, whether the person or persons speak back or not, hold doors and ask permission for things. At the end of hte day, take a mental checklist of the people you have encounter and pray for them!!

Russ said...

Brava and Amen Juana. Well said. Let's remember honor.

The publisher/owner of this website, Juana Lopez, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.